Over the past 12 months, BRT's substantial investment in research and development has allowed the Company to continue executing on its growth strategy. There have been many developments, both operationally and scientifically, that have positioned the Company well as a growing stem cell biotechnology company with a specific focus on cellular treatments and therapies for certain medical applications.
Below are some of the Company's accomplishments and activities over the past 12 months:
- In the latter part of 2012, BRT appointed Wayne A. Marasco, M.D., Ph.D. as Chairman of its Scientific Advisory Board. Dr. Marasco currently serves as an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. He is head of Marasco Labs, an accomplished research laboratory at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute known for discovery and therapeutic human monoclonal antibody development and for constructing and validating various human-mouse chimeric models in the area of cancer, infectious disease immunotherapy, regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. Dr. Marasco is a Principal Faculty Member of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute and has extensive experience in the field of stem cells.
- Late last year, the Company announced that its common stock had begun trading on the OTC Bulletin Board. The company went through a very thorough and diligent review process by FINRA to attain the Bulletin Board listing. The Bulletin Board trading platform allows for more potential investors interested in purchasing the Company's stock. The Company is extremely pleased to provide investors increased visibility and transparency that this regulated quotation service provides.
- In late November, BRT launched its new website available at www.biorestorative.com. The new site highlights the Company as an innovator and pioneer in the adult stem cell industry. The Company's primary programs are highlighted in more detail on the website, along with rich imagery and information about therapies being developed.
- At the start of 2013, the Company was invited to present at the Adipose Tissue Biology conference of the Keystone Symposia conference series. Chief Scientist and Vice President of Research and Development, Francisco Silva, presented the Company's research on "Human Metabolically Active Brown Adipose Tissue Derived Stem Cells." This research is a result of the scientific work the Company has been performing pursuant to its ThermoStem® Program, which is in the pre-clinical stage and which focuses on treatments for metabolic disorders (particularly focusing on Type 2 diabetes) and obesity and uses adult derived stem cells from brown adipose (fat) tissue stem cells.
- On April 13th, Dr. Marasco spoke at the Second International Vatican Adult Stem Cell Conference: Regenerative Medicine -- A Fundamental Shift in Science and Culture. The event was held in Vatican City from April 11th to April 13th. Dr. Marasco spoke during the session entitled "Stem Cells, Cancer and Aging — A Search for Solutions." His talk was titled "What Questions Haven't Been Addressed with Respect to Stem Cells, Cancer and Aging?"
- In April, the Company was invited to present at the 5th International Congress on Prediabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome in Vienna, Austria. Mr. Silva presented the Company's research on Human Metabolically Active Brown Adipose Tissue Derived Stem Cells. This research is a result of the scientific work the Company has been performing pursuant to its ThermoStem® Program.
- The Company hired ProActive Capital in mid-April to help increase awareness of the Company among the investment community. ProActive Capital is also helping to increase exposure through the use of social and digital media.
- In mid April, the Company implemented a 1-for-50 reverse stock split which reduced its outstanding shares from 820,641,011 to 16,412,820. 94% of the shares voted were in favor of the proposal. The Company believes the reverse split will help attract a new base of shareholders as well as new institutional and retail support in the market.
- In mid May, the Company signed an agreement with Dexterity, Inc., a product design and bioengineering firm, to further the development and production of its brtxDISC™ (Disc Implanted Stem Cells) stem cell therapy device. This device plays an integral role in delivering stem cells for its proprietary bulging/herniated disc therapy.
- In May, the Company once again presented its investment thesis at the Marcum MicroCap Conference. To listen to the webcast, please visit http://wsw.com/webcast/marcum/brtx. The event hosted nearly 100 publicly traded companies with capitalizations under $500 million and attracted more than 1,000 people, including senior personnel from the presenting public companies, leading institutional investors, directors, bankers and service providers to the microcap marketplace.
- At the end of May, the Company formally launched its "brtx-C Cosmetic" Program. The Company announced that it has developed a human cellular-derived extract that, per initial in vitro studies, when applied to skin cells, appears to cause a significant increase in collagen and fibronectin production (proteins that are essential for combating the aging of skin). The Company plans to conduct additional in vitro studies to better understand the extract's mechanism of action and human cellular activity and is actively seeking collaborations with other parties to commercialize the product.
- In mid June, financial personality and founder of NBT Equities Research, Tobin Smith, interviewed CEO Mark Weinreb with regard to the Company's hybrid model and what it is currently doing that will help change the biotechnology landscape. Click here for the full interview: http://direct.nbtequitiesresearch.com/video/nbt-biorestorative-1
- In late June, the Company expanded its ThermoStem® Program by collecting 150 samples of human brown adipose tissue. This strengthens its R & D platform for the development of treatments for metabolic disorders and obesity. For the past year, through strategic collaboration and internal efforts, the Company has grown a large library of human brown fat stem cells. The compilation of a large number and variety of brown fat derived stem cells allows it to study and identify potential cell lines to be used in developing therapies.
- In mid July, the Company was featured in the industry publication, "The Life Sciences Report." In the interview included in the report, CEO Mark Weinreb described how the Company's cell therapy process could possibly keep disc disease treatment out of the operating theater. Link to full interview: http://www.thelifesciencesreport.com/pub/na/15470
- Since 2011, the Company has raised approximately $9 million, which has enabled it to achieve clear milestones as it continues to build momentum on its growth strategy.
About BioRestorative Therapies, Inc.
BioRestorative Therapies, Inc. ("BRT"), www.biorestorative.com, develops medical procedures using cell and tissue protocols, primarily involving adult stem cells, designed for patients to undergo minimally invasive cellular-based treatments. BRT is developing the following scientific initiatives:
- brtxDISC™ Program (Disc Implanted Stem Cells), a non-surgical treatment for bulging and herniated discs that addresses the gap between non-invasive and invasive back procedures. This research is still in the non-clinical, investigational stage.
- ThermoStem® Program, a treatment for metabolic disorders (diabetes, heart disease, etc.) and obesity using brown fat stem cells. Initial non-clinical research indicates that increased amounts of brown fat in the body may be responsible for additional caloric burning as well as reduced glucose and lipid levels in the body.
- brtx-C Cosmetic Program, based on the development of a human cellular extract that, per initial in vitro studies, when applied to human skin cells, appears to cause an increase in the production of collagen and fibronectin, which are proteins that are essential to combating the aging of skin. Potential cosmetic uses are being explored with third parties.
This press release and the interview contain "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. You are cautioned that such statements are subject to a multitude of risks and uncertainties that could cause future circumstances, events or results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of various factors and other risks, including those set forth in the Company's Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. You should consider these factors in evaluating the forward-looking statements included herein, and not place undue reliance on such statements. The forward-looking statements in this release are made as of the date hereof and the Company undertakes no obligation to update such statements.
Disclaimer /Disclosure: The Investorideas.com is a third party publisher of news and research Our sites do not make recommendations, but offer information portals to research news, articles, stock lists and recent research. Nothing on our sites should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell products or securities. All investment involves risk.
This site is currently compensated by featured companies, news submissions and online advertising. Disclosure: BioRestorative has compensated Investoridea for a six month news program ( five thousand ) to be published on Investorideas.com newswire and syndication and social media partners.
BC Residents and Investor Disclaimer: Effective September 15 2008 - all BC investors should review all OTC and Pink sheet listed companies for adherence in new disclosure filings and filing appropriate documents with Sedar. Read for more info: http://www.bcsc.bc.ca/release.aspx?id=6894